Science Mathematics English Enrichment Program(SMEEP)
Sponsored by the Hampton University School of Science & the National Science Foundation
June 23 – July 24, 2009
The School of Science at Hampton University invites incoming freshmen to apply to the SMEEP summer program. SMEEP is a five-week residential program designed to help bridge the gap between high school and college for students with a declared major in science, engineering, or mathematics. SMEEP students can earn up to nine hours of college level mathematics, computer science, and English credit while reinforcing their problem solving skills, study techniques, and team-work. Students will meet research scientists, go on field trips, and participate in pre-college activities. The progress of SMEEP students will be closely monitored throughout the summer to ensure their success in the program.
SMEEP is seeking students of varying academic backgrounds. Students who need additional preparation in mathematics and/or communication skills may find this program particularly beneficial. Students who already have excellent preparation in mathematics will be offered additional courses and/or research activities.
The program pays for tuition, room, board, and fieldtrips. Students will be asked to purchase their textbooks once they arrive.
To participate in this program, you must
- Have been accepted to Hampton University for Fall 2009;
- Have declared a major in science, engineering, or mathematics;
- Be a US citizen or permanent resident.
To apply, you must provide
- A completed application;
- A one page essay discussing your career goals and how you feel you would benefit from SMEEP;
- Two letters of recommendation. At least one of the letters must be from a mathematics or science teacher;
- A transcript.
- 25 students will be accepted to the program
- All application material must be received by March 23, 2009 for consideration
- Applications will be reviewed in the order in which they are received
Download Application Material
Download a copy of this announcement.
Download the full application package:PDF
Download a letter of recommendation form:PDF