Department of Communicative Sciences & Disorders
Hampton, VA 23668
Communicative Sciences and Disorders
Welcome to the website of the Department of Communicative Sciences and Disorders. Undergraduate study prepares students for graduate study in the fields of speech-language pathology and audiology and results in the B.A. degree in communicative sciences and disorders. Graduate training in the specialization of speech-language pathology is offered and leads to a M.A. degree. The program is fully accredited by the Council on Academic Accreditation in Audiology and Speech-Language Pathology of the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association. In addition, an online graduate training program in speech-language pathology is offered through a consortium of accredited programs in the state of Virginia (DLVE-SLP).
The mission of the Department of Communicative Sciences and Disorders is to prepare undergraduate and graduate students to meet the needs of children and adults with communication impairments in a changing multicultural society.In so doing, the academic programs are designed to disseminate existing knowledge of speech, language swallowing and hearing disorders, and to provide clinical experiences in the prevention, assessment/diagnosis and treatment of speech, language, swallowing and hearing disorders.
- First degree-granting program at an historically Black university
- One of 5 accredited Master’s degree programs in the state of Virginia
- Our chairman, Robert M. Screen, PhD has received "Honors of the Association” from the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
- Our program has received the “Diversity Incentive Award” from the Council of Academic Programs in Communication Sciences and Disorders
- We operate a full service on-campus Speech-Language-Hearing Clinic located on the second floor of the Science and Technology building
- We provide additional outreach clinical services to over 20 public and private schools in Hampton Roads, Virginia
- We have agreements with 50 clinical agencies for extern clinical practicum
- We support a viable campus chapter of the National Student Speech Language Hearing Association (NSSLHA) (www.asha.org/students)
- We offer a distance learning option (www.dlve-slp.org)
- We are listed in the Compendium of Exemplary Practices by Colleges and Universities in the Recruitment, Retention and Career Transition of Communication Sciences and Disorders (CSD) Professionals
- We provide diverse continuing education services such webinars, seminars and in-services as an ASHA approved Continuing Education provider.